Why Sex Matters in the 2012 U.S. Presidential Election
There it is. All debates are complete, and there’s 2 weeks remaining until Election Day here within the United States. Between all the rhetoric and attacks and question dodging there seems to be no question that neither candidate is quite getting all the information he wants to divulge in a clear and concise manner. What, then, is a responsible, sex-positive individual to do? Look to the platforms of the two major parties, of course! Follow me as we explore then in more detail.
Courtesy of Marci A. Hamilton at the website Verdict, we are given a detailed breakdown of the GOP Platform in all it’s religious and discriminatory nature. In a very small nutshell, the official party platform prohibits the following:
- Teaching any form of sexual education other than abstinence
- Funding Planned Parenthood
- Allowing Roe v Wade to stand
- Contraceptive measures
- Embryonic Stem Cell research
- Abortion under any terms, even at the expense of the life or well being of the mother
- Rights for LGBT individuals to marry or adopt
Scared yet? I certainly am. Under the official party platform, from which policy is supposed to be shaped, women cannot choose to prevent impregnation nor do anything to prevent carrying to term. Her right to choose her own reproductive safety is eliminated completely. It’s as best they can do to repeal the entire women’s rights movement short of repealing the right to vote.
Also courtesy of Marci A. Hamilton at Verdict, a detailed breakdown of the Democratic Party Platform is provided. It makes the following assertions:
- Support for the Equal Rights Amendment
- Enforcement of Title IX (which grants equal opportunities in extracurricular activities for boys and girls — including sports — in all public school systems, to extend to public colleges and universities)
- Support for ratification of the Convention on the Elimination of All Forms of Discrimination Against Women
- A woman’s right to make her own reproductive choices
- Expanding protections and opportunities for women and girls around the world
- The continued support of family planning services and organizations
- The support for marriage equality and support of the movement to secure equal treatment under law for same-sex couples
It’s like night and day, right? The Democrats are progressively seeking equal treatment of not only women but also all the members oft the LGBTQ community under law. Under Law! With accompanying penalties for those who willfully violate that law! How awesome is that?
The distinction between the two parties is clear. The GOP wants a repressive, religious-right controlled government that is puritanical and restrictive (despite the calls for smaller government oversight of personal freedoms) in everything related to sex. The platform also calls for an aggressive enforcement of anti-pornography laws. This, of course, despite the fact that the states with the highest paid consumption of pornographic material are Republican-majority states. Way to give it to your constituency!
The Democrats, however, actively push to assert equal treatment of everybody. Isn’t that exactly what’s espoused in the founding documents of this country? All are created equal, right? Red, Yellow, Black, White, Male, Female, Other, Gay, Straight, Bi, Trans, Queer; it doesn’t matter to the Democrats, we’re all human and all deserve to be treated as such. That’s more than sex-positive, that’s human-positive!
That’s a position I can get behind.
Stay SINful, friends.